Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD joins the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA) in celebrating National Athletic Training Month in March to spread awareness of the important work athletic trainers (ATs) do at CFBISD campuses.
CFBISD has 12 athletic trainers who provide health care to not only student-athletes, but also to fine arts students in dance, marching band, and other school physical activities. Over the last two years, athletic trainers not only assisted their teams, schools, and the district in developing safe return to school and play protocols but also implemented risk mitigation protocols through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Athletic trainers are licensed/certified experts who work to prevent and treat musculoskeletal injuries and sports-related illnesses. ATs are part of a team of health care professionals on campus who practice under the direction of and in collaboration with physicians. Athletic trainers work with students to prevent, treat, and rehabilitate injuries and medical conditions. Athletic trainers are not the same as personal trainers or “trainers” who focus solely on fitness and conditioning.
“Sports injuries can be serious,” said Renee Putter, CFBISD Athletic Director. “Athletic trainers are equipped to treat acute injuries on the spot and mitigate risk for school administrators, athletic directors, coaches, and other district employees who are not experts in managing injuries or sport-related illnesses. CFBISD would like to recognize our athletic training staffs, and student athletic trainers, for all their hard work in taking care of our student-athletes.”
The athletic trainers at each campus are:
- Robert Sundquist Creekview High School
- Bailey Johnson Creekview High School
- Shaketha Pierce Newman Smith High School
- Kennedy Wynn Newman Smith High School
- Matthew Walters Ranchview High School
- Kelsey Potts Ranchview High School
- Melissa Davis R. L. Turner High School
- Meredith Swayne R. L. Turner High School
- Mark Cummings Blalack Middle School and Long Middle School
- Conner Knoble Field Middle School and Bush Middle School
- Damon Fudge Perry Middle School and Polk Middle School
- Jonathan Wilk CFBISD Athletic Department